This page lists links to sites of interest specifically to current and former U.S. military servicemen and servicewomen, as well as sites related to military history and military affairs. We accept recommendations for connections with other sites. Please email your suggestions to email@example.com
All of these links should lead you to other sites which are outside of our control. Sometimes they make changes that render the link inoperable. If you find a broken link, please send that information to the above email.
Assistance for Veterans
- Canine Companions for Independence – non-profit organization that enhances the lives of people with disabilities by providing highly trained assistance dogs and ongoing support to ensure quality partnerships. “Some Angels Have Wings, Others Have Tails”
- www.iava.org – Mission: Improve the lives of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans and their families. Vision: An empowered generation of veterans who provide sustainable leadership for our country and their communities.
- Make the Connection – public awareness campaign by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) that provides personal testimonials and resources to help Veterans discover ways to improve their lives.
- Disabled American Veterans – empowering veterans to lead high-quality lives with respect and dignity,
- It’s About the Warrior Foundation – mission is to create, promote, and maintain a positive, caring, and supportive environment to all of our post 9/11 veterans.
- Wounded Warrior Project
- Moving Resources for Veterans and Military Families – a list of links to web sites offering a variety of information and assistance, from affordable housing for veterans to pet relocation assistance and relocation tips for military military children (link suggested by the kids at the W.B. Goodwin Community Center in Asheville, NC),
- Health.mil – the official web site of the Military Health System and the Defense Health Agency
- Quit Day – Support for quitting smoking
- Mesothelioma – Department of Veterans Affairs information regarding compensation for veterans exposed to asbestos while in the armed forces
Mental Health including PTSD
- Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator – an on-line source of information for persons seeking treatment facilities in the United States or U.S. Territories for substance abuse/addiction and/or mental health problems.
- Mental Health America/Military Mental Health – In partnership with the leading military organizations, Mental Health America distributes educational materials on such topics as reuniting with your spouse and children, adjusting after war, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- VA Mental Health – authoritative mental health information and resources for veterans and their families.
- Addiction Center – founded by recovering addicts and health information writers to provide the most up-to-date information on addiction as well as reviews of top treatment centers across the country.
- Military.com – resource for all things military
- Veterans Benefits Administration – comprehensive information about full spectrum of veterans benefits
- Benefits for Disabled Individuals – Medicare and Social Security assistance for which veterans may be eligible
- Higher Education Resources for Veterans and their Families – comprehensive guide on GI Bill, guides to vet-friendly college and on-line learning programs, even guidance on the sodial aspects of returning to college.
- Online Colleges for Veterans and Military Personnel – comprehensive guide to help military students avoid potential pitfalls of online education.
- 2015 Ranking of Best Online Colleges for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Servicemember Opportunity Colleges – established in 1972 to help meet the voluntary higher education needs of servicemembers.
- College Guide for U.S. Servicemembers – helps you identify education and training opportunities, find support as a college-level learner, and fund your pursuit of higher education
- University of Nevada, Reno – online Masters in Social Work Degree program that focuses on helping veterans and their families.
Veteran Business Development
- Veteran guide to starting and owning a business – 10% of all small businesses in the United States are launched and run by veterans. Here is some information to help you get started.
- U.S. Army Center of Military History – a global forum for the Center of Military History to distribute historical information and products to inform, educate and professionally develop the soldiers and leadership of the U.S. Army.
- Department of Defense related web sites – from the U.S. Army Center of Military History
- Naval History and Heritage Command – wide-ranging website on the history, legacy and traditions of the United States Navy.
- War History Online – one-stop resource for all military history and news
- Aviation Pioneers
- World War I Aces
- Hall of Fame of the Air
- WW2 European Theater (ETO)
- WW2 Pacific Theater (PT)
- WW2 US Marine Corps
- WW2 US Navy Aces
- WW2 Mediterranean (MTO)
- WW2 German Aces
- Korean War Aces
- Russian Aces
- Vietnam Era Aces
- World War I Planes
- 1930s Aircraft photos
- WW2 Fighters
- WW2 Bombers
- WW2 German Planes
- WW2 Airplane Pictures
- History of Airplanes blog
- Nose Art
- Postwar Jets
War on Terror (Including Iraq and Afghanistan)
- FBI – official web site on terrorism
- CIA – official web site on terrorism
- Desert Storm – site honoring those who participated in Operation Desert-Storm and providing an informative resource about the war and the events surrounding it.
- Special Operations Command – prepares Special Operations Forces (SOF) to carry out assigned missions and, if directed by the president or secretary of defense (SECDEF), to plan for and conduct special operations.
- The Vietnam Center and Archive – over 3.2 million pages of scanned materials including documents, photographs, slides, negatives, oral histories, artifacts, moving images, sound recordings, maps, and collection finding aids. an amazing collection of documents, photographs, slides, negatives, oral histories, artifacts, moving images, sound recordings, maps, and collection finding aids. –
- vietnamwar.net – Educational, Entertainment, and Research Material Relevant to the Study of the Vietnam War
- virtualwall.org – Info about every person listed on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund – contribute to the support of the Memorial
- VietnamWarCasualties.org – features records of over 58,000 U.S. servicemen who were killed in action or non-combative circumstances during the Vietnam War. Site is searchable by date.
- Photos taken by soldiers assigned to the 7th Surgical Hospital in Vietnam in 1966-67. Together, they form a truly remarkable vision of what it was like to be in Vietnam at that time.
- Vietnam War Records – from the National Archives
- Coffelt Database of Vietnam Casualties
- Vietnam War maps – an interesting random collection of maps concerning the Vietnam War
- Korean War History – from the History Channel
- Korean War records – from the National Archives
- Korean War Educator – information about the Korean War from the perspective of U.S. veterans who were involved in the war effort, as well as American families who lost loved ones in Korea.
World War II
- World War II History Info – index to variety of articles about World War II
- airbornetroopcarrier.com – dedicated to the men of the Troop Carrier Outfits during World War II
- http://www.ww2incolor.com/ – extensive collection of World War II photos
- More World War II photos
- WW2 Facts and Firsts
- WW2 Medals
- WW2 Museums
- WW2 Pictures
- WW2 Ships
- WW2 Weapons
World War I
- firstworldwar.com – a multi-media history of World War I
- D-Day – the largest annual D-Day reenactment in the United States
- Directory of Veterans Service organizations – from the Department of Veterans Affairs
- American Legion
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Military Officers Association of America
- “Before You Go” – Memorial song for World War II and Korean War veterans
- U. S. Army Band
- U. S. Navy Band
- U. S. Marine Corps Band
- U. S. Air Force Band
- U. S. Coast Guard Band
- War on Terror Foundation – honoring servicemen and women who have died in the War on Terror
- Special Operations Memorial – honoring servicemen and women who have died in the War on Terror
- National D-Day Memorial – National memorial to the Allied forces who participated in the WWII invasion of France, June 6, 1944.
- National Veterans Art Museum – inspires greater understanding of the real impact of war with a focus on Vietnam. The museum collects, preserves and exhibits art inspired by combat and created by veterans.
- Museum and Memorial guide – assists you in locating a military-themed museum, monument or memorial in either the area where you live in or an area where you may be traveling to.
- First Division Museum
- Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum
- Marine Corps Museum, Quantico, VA
- Home of Heroes – tributes to recepients of the Medal of Honor, plus related information
- National Purple Heart Hall of Honor
Medals and Awards
- Medal of Honor – U.S. Army Center of Military History site with the citation of every Medal of Honor recipient
- Congressional Medal of Honor Society – chartered by Congressional legislation in 1958
- Department of Defense Manual of Military Decorations and Awards –
- The Institute of Heraldry – from the office of the administrative secretary of the Secretary of the Army
- Orders and Medals Society of America – to foster and promote the educational development of interested parties though the research, recording and dissemination of information and knowledge of orders, decorations medals and other honors, past and present, military and civil, of the world community of nations.
- Military Awards for Valor – list of persons who have received the top three medals awarded for valor – 1. The Medal of Honor; 2. The Distinguished Service Cross (Army), Navy Cross (Navy and Marine Corps), Air Force Cross; 3) The Silver Star
Veterans Memoir Sites
- Veterans History Project – a project of the American Folk Life Center of the Library of Congress
- Tuolumne Veterans History Project – collecting and preserving the stories of World War II veterans living in Tuolumne County, California.
- Links to myriad oral history web sites featuring veterans’ stories http://www.loc.gov/vets/vets-portal.html
- Georgetown County Digital Library collection of video interviews of World War II veterans
- National veterans gravesite locator – Search for burial locations of veterans and their family members not only in government-owned cemeteries, but also in private cemeteries when the grave is marked with a government-provided veteran grave marker.
- Fold 3 – the web’s premier collection of original military records
- Military records – search ancestry.com for military records of all periods
- World War II military records – search ancestry.com for World War II records
- Sons of the American Revolution membership applications